The Port Dock Station opened in 1856. It was part of the first government built and owned railway in the British Empire. The British track design was entirely unsuitable for Australian soil and weather and on its first passenger trip the engine derailed halfway between the Port and the city.
The Port Dock Railway Station today shows very little sign of the original building.
Photographer: Adam Paterson, South Australian Maritime Museum
A large Red Cross banner is displayed over the entrance to the Port Dock Railway Station, 1928.
Image courtesy of the State Library of South Australia, SLSA: B 4916, Public Domain