Weman Building

Lipson Street
Port Adelaide

Read about this building

Constructed during the 1870s and 1880s, the complex of structures known today as the Weman Building were home to one of colonial Port Adelaide’s most well-known sail-making businesses. Situated on the corner of Jane and Lipson Streets, the complex comprised a sail loft and warehouse, and a two-storey business that operated as a ship’s chandlery and grocer and featured facilities for the manufacture of sails and sailcloth. Largely abandoned during the latter half of the twentieth century, the Weman Building was ultimately acquired by the South Australian government and today functions as an auxiliary property of the South Australian Maritime Museum.

Find about more about this location.

Enlarge historic photo

Modern photo:

The shop front of the Weman building, September 2015
Photographer: Adam Paterson, South Australian Maritime Museum

Historic photo:

Henry Weman (centre) stands in front of his sail making and ship’s chandlery, 1887. David Deex stands at far left.
South Australian Maritime Museum photographic collection, 12821

Weman Building